With the eBay Developers Program's latest APIs for selling and buying, eBay is arming its developers with powerful technology and features that benefit both buyers and sellers:
eBay's Buy APIs
It was key for us to work with a great technology partner that has a product catalog that really spans to every type of category for members. With access to eBay's Buy API we can now help our members find and shop for compelling products directly from the eBay marketplace fast and efficiently. – Amit Patel, Ebates General Manager
We believe that commerce is moving from an experience that you go to, to an experience that comes to you. Our new Buy APIs enable developers to build buying experiences where consumers can purchase products from eBay anytime, anywhere—wherever consumers are online.
- Use cases: eBay’s Buy APIs are designed to enable social sites, merchants, or marketplaces who want to virtually increase the inventory they offer to their customers.
- Benefits for sellers: Contextual commerce helps eBay sellers to list their inventory on eBay and enable shoppers to discover that eBay inventory anywhere on the Web, including social sites and other contexts.
- Opportunity for 3rd-party developers: For eligible developers, eBay’s Buy APIs expand the potential customer segments that developers can offer their services to and create opportunities for new types of integrations that you may have never thought possible.
For information about all the buying APIs that eBay offers, and eligibility criteria, see APIs for Buying Items on eBay.
Next Generation Sell APIs
Because eBay’s APIs are so modern and so easy to work with, it will be very easy and fast for us to add features, fix bugs, expand the footprint that we have globally with eBay and adopt new features and capabilities as eBay releases them. – Brent Bellm, CEO of BigCommerce
eBay’s latest Sell APIs provide a generational technology improvement over our earlier Trading API:
- Use cases: The Sell APIs are centered on catalogs (structured data), retail-standard inventory on-boarding and management capabilities, as well as a SKU-driven approach to managing purchase orders, fulfillment, and returns. The Sell APIs also enable marketing campaigns for seller promotions and advertisements on eBay (also called Promoted Listings); cross-promoting listings via eBay's Promotions Manager feature; and many features of eBay’s Seller Hub for monitoring seller performance.
- Opportunity for 3rd-party developers: Today, 25% of eBay’s global inventory is already powered by sellers who use eBay’s earlier Trading API directly or via 3rd-party applications. Going forward, with our newer, more consistent and performant Sell APIs, developers can even more quickly and efficiently enable sellers to customize and scale their businesses on eBay.
For information about the APIs that eBay offers to enable selling, see APIs for Selling Inventory on eBay.
eBay's APIs have helped Wikibuy save customers money when shopping online. The APIs have given Wikibuy the invaluable ability to quickly iterate and scale. Wikibuy is excited to continue working with eBay in removing friction from the ecommerce experience. – Kyle Schumacher, Head of Partnerships, Wikibuy
We designed our latest APIs based on use cases that we have carefully vetted with buyers, sellers, and application providers.
After listening to our customers, we have revamped everything, from taking a more retail-standard approach to the functional capabilities we offer to buyers and sellers; to updating the overall architecture of our APIs; to changing basic operational details that matter to developers, such as how we think about error messages and API Call Limits (rate limiting).
Video: Listen to eBay customers and leaders talk about eBay's latest APIs
eBay's APIs demonstrate how eBay is leveraging technology to accelerate and disrupt commerce. eBay’s latest APIs are designed to align with industry best practices. They use modern API standards, such as OAuth 2.0 for authentication, JSON payloads, and RESTful design principles. They have been designed to ensure data consistency across all buying and selling tools—including tools and applications created by eBay, as well as applications created by buyers, sellers, and 3rd-party developers. By taking this approach, we are striving to enable a more seamless, connected experience to buyers and sellers as they move from application to device to system and beyond as part of their evolving commerce workflow.
“With these APIs, developers can rapidly create an integration and help accelerate buying from eBay anywhere, anytime. To me, that’s true disruption - and, it’s a leap forward for eBay developers” – Gail Frederick, Senior Director, eBay Developers Program, eBay’s Developer Ecosystem and Services
To dig deeper into our API architecture, see The API Journey on the eBay Tech Blog.
Developer Website & Tools
eBay is continuing to expand our eBay Developers Program website and tools, to support this new generation of APIs. The site provides a way to:
- Manage your developer account
- Obtain premium support, which gives you access to knowledgeable eBay engineers
- Access to useful tools, such as the API Explorer for trying out eBay API requests
- OpenAPI specs for all the RESTful APIs
We encourage you to keep an eye on our developer blog for new features and new APIs.
We are excited to see what you build with eBay APIs!